Top blog post: IS CANADA THE UNITED STATES BEST FRIEND?

Every so often we are republishing posts that are or were particularly important. From March 2009, this page is the third most-visited on neilmckenty.com

IS CANADA THE UNITED STATES BEST FRIEND?

When President Obama was in Washington he said he loved Canada.  And so he should.  We provide most of the energy consumed by his country and much else beside.  Canada is America’s largest trading partner.

I expect Canada is the United States best friend.  But a new poll asks the question who is the United States “most valuable ally.”   I take it that ally connotes some military capability.  The poll showed that 36 per cent of Americans believe Great Britain is their most valuable ally.  Canada came in second at 29 per cent.  (If the Russians ever invade through the north poll I really don’t see how Great Britain can be any help to anybody.)

Also it is somewhat ironic that this poll came out the day British prime minister Gordon Brown visited President Obama in the Oval Office.  Many commentators felt Obama snubbed Brown.  No joint news conference, no invitation to Camp David, only a 90-minute working lunch.  What gives?

Canada was more popular than Great Britain among Democrats and among Americans living near the Canadian border.  It would seem that those who know us best like us most.

Pierre Trudeau once said Canada is like a mouse up against the American elephant.  And whenever the elephant sneezes Canada catches cold.

Nevertheless I have seldom met an American who does not like Canada (most of them have visited us). Except for those right wing nuts who believe we are all raving socialists.

Have we got a better friend than the U.S?  If so who is it.

Has the United States got a better friend than Canada?  If so who is it?

Be the first to like this.

Posted by Neil McKenty on March 5, 2009 at 1:09 pm
Filed under current events  |  Tags: best friends, Canada and United States  |  Leave a comment  |  Trackback URI

[edit]

Previous Entry: IS RUSH LIMBAUGH A LEADER?
Next Entry: SHOULD CANADA TRY TO SAVE A CONDEMNED MAN?

19 Comments »

Paul Costopoulos Says:

Neil, countries do not have friends,only temporary interests sharing allies and/or trade partners. When interests or trading needs change or internal pressure becomes too strong (the lumber war) those links can easily snap or be redirected where it suits best.
As for Russia, in any case, if it comes to war we will be the privileged fighting ground with an overhead canopy of missiles heading both ways.

Posted on March 5, 2009 at 2:59 pm e

Barbara Says:

I am sorry, Neil, but this is silly, deep-down Canadian silly. Paul is right. Canada is the USA’s friendly, peaceful northern neighbour. Britain is the USA’s long-ago “mother country” and stalwart ally even when things are going badly for the USA. There is, at bottom, no emotional tie. It is a mutual respect between partners. You have, a number of times, taken pride when Canada stood up to the USA. The USA may interpret that standing up differently, as an unsupportive gesture. It does not matter who, in the end, is right or wrong. Over time, it matters little because every country does what is in its own best interests and the basic relationship between the two countries is peaceable.

Respect is worth more than all the fawning in the world. If a Canadian asks if the Americans love his/her country, OF COURSE they will be polite and say they do. What’s not to love? Canada, for the most part, speaks English, has gorgeous scenery, relatively safe streets, polite people. Ask Americans what they think of Canadian politics or foreign policy and you will get a puzzled look.

Posted on March 5, 2009 at 5:23 pm e

Joe Agnost Says:

Get over ourselves already and stop asking stupid questions (like ‘does america like us?’ or ‘look, there goes Michelle Obama in a dress made by a guy who lived in canada for 3 months in 1974′…)

It’s embarrassing.

Posted on March 5, 2009 at 5:35 pm e

Chimera Says:

“This blog post reinforces my hypothesis that Canadians have an over inflated sense of self-worth.”

Actually, Joe, I was thinking exactly the opposite — most Canadians have very little sense of self-worth, judging by the fact that “we” keep trying to claim everybody else in the world as “best friend.”

The only reason I have not completely thrown over the traces and joined the other side is that occasionally, we put our little foot down on a principle, and we refuse to budge no matter how much pressure another nation state brings to bear. Once in awhile. Just to prove the testicles — small as they seem to be — have actually descended.

Paul has it right, I think.

Posted on March 5, 2009 at 10:54 pm e

The Commentator Says:

American right wingers think Canadians are socialists and Canadian left-wingers think Americans are fascists.

North American centermen know better.

Posted on March 6, 2009 at 2:32 am e

Chimera Says:

“North American centermen know better.”

Yee-haw!

“Centermen!” *pumps fist* I like it!

Posted on March 6, 2009 at 2:44 am e

The Commentator Says:

Why thank you, sir.

Nothing like a hockey reference.

“Sips” latte.

Posted on March 6, 2009 at 5:11 am e

jim Says:

Well to become friends we have to meet preferably in Canada where I can show you around. Unfortunately a National Geographic Survey reported that in the 18/24 age group 50% could not point out New York State on a map.
They also came in second to last on the Global questionaire.

Posted on March 6, 2009 at 8:17 am e

Chimera Says:

“‘Sips’ latte.”

*urk* Latte???

Um…us power forwards much prefer beer.

Posted on March 6, 2009 at 8:35 am e

Paul Costopoulos Says:

Us spectators prefer gooseberry wine, but we don’t have it anymore in Québec. Of course café-cognac is something else.

Posted on March 6, 2009 at 12:02 pm e

The Commentator Says:

I’m more of a small forward.

Jim, who couldn’t put it out, Americans?

Well, the funny thing is, we never point out how (in our rush to laugh at Americans) we don’t fare that much on these exams. The public school system in Canada is average at best. It’s a race to the bottom with all this “hey, you’re a-ok we’re all equal” nonsense. Heck, here in Quebec we can’t even get updated, English school texts anymore!

In any event, their college system blows us out of the water; it attracts nothing but the best. So all is not lost I guess.

We bash them but want to be loved by them. Oi.

Posted on March 6, 2009 at 2:27 pm e

The Commentator Says:

‘don’t fare that much BETTER.’ sorry.

Posted on March 6, 2009 at 2:28 pm e

Joe Agnost Says:

“Actually, Joe, I was thinking exactly the opposite”

You’re right Chimera… I wasn’t thinking clearly. It’s not an “inflated” sense of self-worth, it’s a FRAGILE EGO! It’s still embarrassing…

Posted on March 6, 2009 at 2:53 pm e

Peter LeBlanc Says:

Commentator,” American right wingers think Canadians are Socialists and Canadian left wingers think Americans are fascists”. Not me as a left wing socialist. I think Americans are socialists as well, but in the wrong direction. I would bail out small business, not big business who are nothing but as Ed Broadbent used to say, “Corporate welfare bums”.

Posted on March 6, 2009 at 4:06 pm e

jim Says:

It”s amazing how many of you have been indoctrinated into giving the Western Hemisphere to the USAers. When you say “America” or “American” which country are you addressing, “Canada”, “Mexico” “Bolivia” etc. Saying that one is an “American” does not specifically identify one as being from the USA. You say schooling is better. How can it be? Only the elite can afford to attend. The cost to attend university in the USA is 10 times greater than McGill who by the way have 34,000 students with a faculty of 6,000, how’s that for a ratio.

Posted on March 6, 2009 at 6:14 pm e

Joe Agnost Says:

My my Jim, a nerve seems to have been hit!

“America” has been the shorthand for “the united states of america” for as long as I can remember… I don’t have a problem referring to it that way – but then I don’t have a FRAGILE EGO or any self esteem problems!

“The cost to attend university in the USA is 10 times greater than…”

It amazes me how many people think that university cost will stop the bright – but poor – from attending university.

The truly bright ones attend on scholarship.

Posted on March 6, 2009 at 6:21 pm e

The Commentator Says:

Seriously, nice try Jim. So pretty much the entire world, great thinkers, academics, novelists and so on have all been “indoctrinated.”

Please, please, puh-lease.

Americans is what they are. Bolivians are,well, Bolivians. Move on.

I say don’t sweat the small stuff. Remember the great singer/composer Randy Newman’s sarcastic words, “South America stole our name…”

And it’s not just the elite who attend. America has a system that is quite impressive. Let’s not get into this: our system doesn’t rival theirs.
They have all the best and brightest.

We have university on the cheap. Maybe that’s why we call Americans, “Americans?” We’re all duped?

Peter, I agree with you. Small business are the engine of our economy and deserve more respect. As for socialism going in the wrong direction, personally, it’s not a direction for me. But, Canada originally imported its socialist ideas from America and we too have taken the bad stuff.

Canada, once long ago, truly was a great, individualist society – some think freer than America. In fact, our economy and political system is pretty free all things considered. But we’ve veered off in my opinion.

Posted on March 6, 2009 at 8:39 pm e

The Commentator Says:

By “don’t rival” I don’t mean we’re not competent by the way. However, there is something to easy access meaning lower quality.

Posted on March 6, 2009 at 8:42 pm e

jim Says:

Joe:- I’ve been hearing whay you and others have said about Canadians having Fragile Egos for years. Not true. However we do make sure that we don’t get pushed around by the US bully (Bush etc). To make a point, we are aware of the US’s landgrabbing around the world including Canada with
the Arctic being next.
Do you remember the time that bully LBJ grabbed our Prime Minister by the lapels, when Pearson rubbed LBJ’s fragile ego and LBJ shouted “you are pissing on my carpet”. I sure wish he had of done that to Pierre Trudeau who because of martial arts training would have flattened him.
Most applicants to US Universities are turned away so what good is a scholarship.
Commentator:-
Stop shooting yourself in the foot. You had to go very far afield to drum up a list of Universities graded by excellence, but did you have to go to China? However the list did point out that McGill rates higher than most US Universities by a large margin.
Others:-
You know, when the chips are down and a government calls on academia to come to the fore with the very best talent produced by their educational system, in order to build an Atomic Bomb, why is it that nearly all the scientists were foreign born and the elite universities weren’t so excellent after all. Canadians being “less than ” is all hogwash.

Posted on March 7, 2

Advertisements

3 Comments »

1. 1
    damien ramsay Says:

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article author for your blog. You have some really good articles and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d love
    to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please send me an email if interested. Thanks!

2. 2
    Ben Bankstone Says:

It’s genuinely very complicated in this active life to listen news on TV, therefore I only use internet for that reason, and obtain the newest news.

3. 3
    juan Says:

Howdy I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you by error,
    while I was researching on Digg for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like
    to say cheers for a incredible post and a all
    round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to browse it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the awesome
    job.